We are looking for enthusiastic and committed volunteers to help provide guidance and support for individuals to gain employment or set up their own small businesses.
The nature of the support is in three forms:
- Gathering information from individuals about their hopes and aspirations in terms of:
- the kind of paid work they seek;
- what they believe they are good at;
- their work histories and experience.
- Providing potential action plans and gaining their agreement to start and keeping track of their progress.
- Analysing individual requirements and deciding what kinds of support might help best to get them started. This could include:
- interview training;
- re-writing their CV;
- putting them in touch with appropriate training schemes, educational opportunities and sympathetic employers.
- Creating an individual action plan for the person in need.
- Sourcing appropriate training schemes, educational opportunities, sympathetic employers - to supplement what we have already.
Each is a significant area and you may wish to specialise. The role specifically involves:
- Gaining the confidence of the individuals.
- Patience and perseverance.
- Interviewing, persuading, analysing and planning.
- Spotting reactions that indicate issues or successes and judging when to press for more details.
- Encouraging the individual to celebrate every gain.
- Good one-to-one communication skills.
- Ability to prioritise and complete tasks within deadlines.
- Familiarity with online tools, mainly Google Apps.
- Foreign language ability would be a bonus, especially Arabic.
- Experience working in one-to-one situations, interviewing and checking understanding, making sense of personal backgrounds in the context of types of work.
- It would be great if you also have experience of:
- training in small groups;
- careers advice; and/or
- dealing with employers!
In return, you’ll get an opportunity to:
- Have a front-line opportunity to help refugees settle in and make a positive contribution to their ongoing welfare.
- Work with a wonderful and passionate group of volunteers from the Cambridge area.
- Make a real and significant difference to the lives of refugees.
As the role involves potential contact with vulnerable persons, the post is subject to DBS checks. Further information on this can be found here